Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Life without a smartphone


First time, I panicked. How will I be in touch with – so many people without my smartphone? What if my kid’s school van calls? How will I know if the sky is hailing storms and I need to get into some bunker? The second time, I was genuinely stressed as I needed the smartphone to co-ordinate with a fellow mom for a school thing; pick and drop.

The third time, well, we just adapt. Don’t we? I don’t miss the smartphone. So I got a primitive phone without internet; for the necessities and mailed (from my laptop) the ones expecting or wondering why I wasn’t on chat. Luckily kids were home after exams and weren’t out of reach.

Apart from the necessities; I wasn’t surfing unnecessarily or for information. I didn’t immediately check on Angkor Wat in Cambodia for ‘1000 places to see before you die’ on TLC said it was a Hindu temple. Nor did I check a hundred times, for people responses on my Facebook posts and profile picture.

The phone didn’t fall several times with me carrying a child, water bottle, craft paper and the remote – all at once. Didn’t have to pull it out of my child’s reach and then search where I had put it safely.
I got time, I got peace of mind and a conservative thought that things/life/ emotions can wait. Was I more aware / alert in the moment? Well, have to check with my kids. Did I miss out on some jokes, positive thoughts, moral stories, lessons on humanity, nostalgia? Naaah!!!

Did I miss out on taking some pictures, worth remembering like the peacock outside my son’s karate class? Oh yes! But my conservative take on it – We saw it first hand J

Well, life without a smartphone. Living one hassle less, less charging danger, no censoring. One fragile companion less to take care of!


No comments: